Named after the great Russian polymath Mikhail Lomonosov, whose advances in chemistry, mathematics, linguistics and literature made him a kind of one-man Russian Enlightenment during the reigns of Empresses Elizabeth and Catherine the Great, this beautiful stone bridge crosses the Fontanka River about 300m south of Nevsky Prospekt. Dating from the late 18th century, and with its original design still intact, Lomonosov Bridge is well worth a short detour.
The Belinskogo Bridge was erected in 1785, during the construction of the Fontanka’s granite embankments, and was originally a bascule bridge with a raising wooden span and domed towers containing the lifting mechanism. These were removed in 1859, and in 1890 the bridge’s beautiful wrought iron handrail was added.
The Troitsky bridge connecting the centre of Petersburg and the Petrograd party, is located in immediate proximity from the Peter and Paul Fortress, and by right it is considered one of the most most beautiful bridges of a city. On Petrovsky quay, at once behind the Troitsk bridge, the big Troitsk area on which prior to the beginning of 19 centuries the St.-Petersburg seaport settled down opens. If to look further on a bridge axis leaves, crossing two islands (Pharmaceutical and Petrograd (City)), one of Peter’s the cosiest prospectuses – Kamennoostrovsky
Opened to traffic in 1911, the Bolsheokhtinsky Bridge, which connects the Okhta Region to the center just upstream from the Smolny Convent, is one of St. Petersburg’s most impressive. Instantly recognizable thanks to the swooping arched girders of its two side spans and the four granite Norman towers that mark the corners of the small central span. Measuring just over 270 meters, the Bolsheokhtinsky Bridge, designed by Krovoshein and Apishkov, has an ingenious mechanism that allows the narrow (14.6-meter) central span to be raised in only 30 seconds.
This stone bridge across the tiny Winter Channel, which flows into the Neva River right next to the Winter Palace, was built along with the Neva’s granite embankments in 1763-66, making it the oldest stone bridge in the city. Originally, the bridge was constructed from brick and limestone resting on rubble abutments with granite facing. The structure of the bridge was replaced with reinforced concrete in 1934, but the bridge’s granite exterior was preserved, and further restored in 1950.
Standing below the east colonnade of Kazan Cathedral, the Kazansky Bridge carries Nevsky Prospekt across the Griboedov Canal. Built in 1765-66 on the site of a wooden bridge that had stood since 1716, the single-arched stone bridge is only 17.5 meters long, but, at 95 meters, one of St. Petersburg’s widest. The bridge is faced with granite, although the arch itself is of brick and limestone. The bridge was completely restored and fully water-proofed in 2002. Unlike the majority of Petersburg bridges, it has granite parapets and not railings.
The Trinity (Troitsky) Bridge was opened in 1903 as part of the celebrations of St. Petersburg’s 200th anniversary. It was the third permanent bridge, after Blagoveshchenskiy Bridge and Liteiniy Bridge, to be laid across the River Neva, running from just north of the Field of Mars on the left bank of the river to the Petrograd Side next to the Peter and Paul Fortress. Measuring 582 meters, it is the second longest bridge in the city, one of the busiest, and one of the most beautiful thanks to its spectacularly ornate Art Nouveau design.
Although it is only a 20th century creation, Palace Bridge is undoubtedly one of the most famous sights of St. Petersburg, and is quite literally unmistakable for most visitors to the city, who will find themselves continually using the bridge to move between Palace Square, home to the Winter Palace and the Hermitage Museum, and the many historic attractions on Vasilevskiy Ostrov.
Named to commemorate the liberation from Nazi forces of Kantemirovka Station near Voronezh in 1942, Kantemirovsky Bridge crosses the Malaya Nevka River between Aptekarsky Island and the Vyborg Side right next to St. Petersburg’s television tower. The bridge was built between 1979 and 1982, and measures 316 meters across the river, but almost twice that length including approaches. The bridge is constructed from steel and reinforced concrete, and has a central opening span that revolves on a fixed axis.
Crossing the Malaya Nevka River between Aptekerskiy Island and Kamenniy Island, the Kamennostrovskiy Bridge was built between 1953 and 1955, although its decorative obelisks and beautiful street lamps hark back to the 19th century. It is a five-span metal bridge resting on granite-clad reinforced concrete piers. The first bridge to stand at this site was a pontoon bridge, floated in 1760. This was later replaced by a fixed seven-span wooden bridge, which served for over a century before the current bridge was built.