Musa Jalil Tatar Academic
The theater was first built as a wooden structure in 1803, from this point there where several fires with the first one occurring in 1842, the theater was burnt to the ground in a fire that nearly destroyed the entire city, it happened again in 1874 and one more time in in 1919. After the last fire they built a stone building which was opened in 1939 and since then it has been the center of musical culture to the Republic. In 1956 it was named after the outstanding Tatar poet Musa Jalil.
The theater building architectural style attracts the viewers attention to it’s perfect balance of classical forms, supplemented with elements of the Tatar national ornament. Pediments are crowned with figures of muses, in the recessed sides of the facade are monuments of the genius poets – Alexander Pushkin and Gabdulla Tukai.
At the core of the theater’s repertoire there are masterpieces of world music and outstanding works of the Tatar classics have graced the stage of the theater such as: “Boris Godunov”, “Queen of Spades,” “Prince Igor,” “La Traviata,” “Swan Lake”, “Sleeping Beauty”, “Don Quixote”, “Altynchech”, “Shurale”. Each year the main events of the season are international festivals – Opera House (named by Feodor Chalyapin) and ballet (named by Rudolf Nureyev). The best performers from Russia, CIS and Europe have come to these festivals for years. The opera troupe tours around Europe every year and has had consistent success in each city where they perform.