The Annunciation Cathedral was first ordered built by Tsar Ivan IV (the Terrible). The building of the wooden church first started on October 4, 1552 and was completed in three days after they started construction. Ivan himself drew the outline of the church where the foundations would be placed, once he completed this he marked the spot with a cross which became the place for the bishop’s throne.The Cathedral from the time it was built has been ravaged fires, and each time restored, which changed the appearance over the years. In 1977 the last major restoration took place and in 1996 the Annunciation complex was transferred to the management of the State Kazan Kremlin History-Architectural Museum. In the summer of 2005 the cathedral was opened to accept believers for church services.